What underwriting copy is acceptable to the FCC?
The following types of identifying information are acceptable according to FCC statements concerning enhanced underwriting announcements:
- Value neutral descriptions of a product line or service
- Brand and trade names and product or service listings
- Visual descriptions of specific products
- Location information, including telephone numbers and Web addresses
- Logograms or slogans which identify and do not promote
While the FCC has determined that underwriting credits on public television may include this identifying information in addition to the underwriter’s name, the FCC has indicated that public broadcaster’s good faith judgment must be the key element in meeting Congress’ determination that the serve should remain free of commercial and commercial-like matter.